The Clopay dealer websites deployed by ViewSource have been constructed with search
engine compatibility in mind and adhere to the primary search engine ranking factors. The topic
of search engine optimization and compatibility is, by its very nature, a technically complex
topic. However, the least you should know in layman’s terms is the following:
The search engine ranking factors that ViewSource does have control over are:
- Site map page
- Key meta tags:
- Web Page Titles for each page
- H1 Title tag
- Keywords and descriptions
- Keyword rich text on each web page.
- Website Design and Layout (no frames; coding as HTML and ASP technology rather than
the less SEO compatible: Flash technology)
- Website content theme. The dealer website content adheres to a narrow theme: garage
door sales and services. Google, in particular, has a website ranking factor based on the
theme—the topic and subject matter—of your website. The theme/topic is what the web
pages are about.
The search engine ranking factors that ViewSource does not have control over are:
- Age of the website (i.e., search engines put more emphasis on longevity)
- Local geographic market where competition for online visibility varies greatly.
- Inbound links to your website from reputable referring sites (i.e., the democratic principle at
- Your domain name (i.e., your domain name plays a significant role is search engine ranking,
it has been proven that a domain name that contains targeted keywords will rank better in
the search engines for those keywords. ViewSource recommends acquiring a domain name
that contains both your geographic location and keywords such as “Garage Door” (E.g.
Cincinnati-Garage-Doors.com) if it is important that your company name be included
purchase two domain names and point them both towards your new site.
What Search Engine Visibility Should Clopay Dealers Expect?
Dealers deploying a new web presence, where no pre-existing website or domain name existed
previously, should expect that their new Clopay dealer website will not appear within the first
three pages of search results pages within Google, Yahoo or MSN for several months. This is
primarily due to an automatic filter on all new sites put in place by the search engines to reduce
spam. This is otherwise known as the ‘sandbox’.
Dealers with pre-existing websites, and who are not changing their domain names, should
expect a drop in rankings for several weeks, until the new site is fully indexed. Once the site is
indexed the rankings should start to creep up in the results.
Instant Gratification: Consider the Merits of Instant Search Engine Visibility…
Short of waiting for free search engine visibility, search engines like: Google offer pay as you go
advertising programs. ViewSource offers Clopay dealers the ability to advertise on search
engines and would be glad to discuss this option with you to see if it makes sense for your